Friday, May 21, 2010

More with Less

As I write this title, I am struck by how that is much like what God wants to do with us. More with less. More of Him, Less of Us, More Power, less self.... unfortunately that isn't what prompted that title.


"More with Less" is the name of the most awesome-est cook book EVER!! But before I tell you all about it, let me tell you a few of the ways my day to day life has changed since our move.


I no longer have weekly trips to Walmart.... I have a once a month trip to the capital for supplies. AND Kent does my weekly shopping.


I no longer sweep, or mop... well I try not to anyway, that is now one of the responsibilities of my girls!


I no longer have laundry days.... Concy washes all our clothes, towels and occasional sheet set. I have hand washed our bath maths and sheets on several occasions.


I no longer need a detailed list of all the meals that I am cooking for the week, with the detailed shopping list to go with it. I am learning how to cook with what I have!


Which brings me back to my post title.

I have, some what out of necessity, have started making many things from scratch. For example:


Carrot Sticks (yes, yes, I know what is there to make, but as a mom who was accustomed to buying the convenient little baby carrots, making carrot sticks is a change.)



Pico, and guacamole

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Homemade Tortillas

Homemade Bisquick from which I make Homemade pancakes and Coffee cake

Yesterday I also made homemade syrup.

I have made SO many new recipes like lintel soup, birrocks (filled pockets of dough), potato & spinach soup, that I make with local greens, Awesome peanut butter cookies, oatmeal cookies,


HOME MADE BREAD..... complete with the long tiring kneading!


Tonight I am making a pineapple chicken dish that I hope will be yummy!


I feel like that Julie character who made a different recipe every night and blogged about it for a year..... Only you aren't having to read daily reports on the recipes, you get the whole thing in one nice post!


I know that there is so much more that I am forgetting. I was surprised last week... Kent usually goes to the market ever couple of days for me to get fresh veggies. I went over a week, yes OVER A WEEK, with out needing anything from the market. PLUS we had company over several evenings. I cooked a new meal one of those evenings as well..... I felt like Martha Stewart, or better yet, my mother-in-love who I think is one of the best cooks in the world!


So as I was saying.... "More with Less" is the best cook book ever. Written by Mennonite women, some of whom are/were missionaries in third world countries. It is written with nutrition in mind, and simple dishes. No fancy ingredients, I think that the only ingredient I have needed that I can't get here is corn starch, and maple syrup flavoring.


If you or your loved one are on the mission field this is a MUST HAVE!! I think that all churches/organizations should give them to their missionaries as a parting gift when they send them off! You can buy it on Amazon.

Happy Eating!

No comments: